Ecological cities enable their residents to live a good quality of life while using minimal natural resources. They do so by:
- using local materials, and local energy, air and water flows (sunlight, wind and rain) to best advantage.
- incorporating natural ecosystems into urban areas, to host local wildlife, and to enhance the experience of urban public spaces.
- using vegetation to control urban microclimates – to stabilise temperature and humidity.
- enhancing the life of the community and relationships between people, by creating convivial social environments.
- supporting an innovative culture which enables people to flourish and develop their creative potential, and use new technologies to improve liveability