Greenhouse Sources

Discussion

An examination of what economic activities are responsible for greenhouse emissions can give an idea of what we need to do to transform our economies into low emission ones.

Australian Emissions

What economic activities are responsible for Australia's greenhouse gas emissions?

An examination of the various activities responsible for Australia's greenhouse gas emissions can give us some idea of what cut-backs can be made and where, and what economic or indeed cultural restructuring may be required, if Australia is to significantly reduce its emissions.

Much of Australia's greenhouse emissions are due to electricity generation. Electricity generators in Victoria are especially greenhouse intensive because they run on brown coal. Tasmania's hydro-power, on the other hand, causes minimal greenhouse emissions.

Australian Greenhouse Emissions by General Sector

Greenhouse Emissions

Aggregate

Mt CO2e

Per Capita

t CO2e

Australia

1990

2003

1990

2003

Total

544

550

31.9

27.7

Energy

286

374

16.8

18.8

Industrial Processes

28

32

1.6

1.6

Agriculture

94

97

5.5

4.9

Land Use Change and Forestry (net)

126

35

7.4

1.8

Waste

10

11

0.6

0.6

 

 

 

 

 

Energy

286

374

16.8

18.8

Stationary Energy

195

268

11.5

13.5

Transport

62

80

3.6

4.0

Fugitive Emissions

29

26

1.7

1.3

 

 

 

 

 

Population (m)

17.1

19.9

 

 

Sources:

Australian Greenhouse Office - National Greenhouse Gas Inventory 2003

Australian Historical Population Statistics - Population Size and Growth

 

Stationary energy

Transport energy

Industrial process

Biosphere (c)

Waste

Total

Agriculture, forestry and fishing

0.40

0.35

 

6.90

 

7.65

Mining: non-energy

0.68

0.13

 

 

 

0.81

Mining export energy

1.34

0.04

 

 

 

1.38

Manufacturing

6.14

0.38

0.55

 

0.34

7.41

Construction, water, etc

0.30

0.21

 

 

0.11

0.62

Commercial/institutional

2.46

0.04

 

 

0.17

2.67

Residential (a)

3.32

1.84

 

 

0.25

5.41

Other (b)

0.29

1.3

 

0.15

 

1.74

Total

14.93

4.29

0.55

7.05

0.87

27.69

(a) Includes travel to and from work and travel for private purposes by private motor vehicles.

(b) Includes combustion of solvents, military eergy use, unallocated frieght and passenger transport and land use change not allocated to agriculture.

(c) Biosphere includes agriculture and land use change and forestry emissions and removals.

Australia 1999 estimated population: 18.926 million.

Sources:

Australia's National Greenhouse Inventory 1990, 1995, 1999 - End Use Allocation of Emissions

Australian Historical Population Statistics - Population Size and Growth

Australia 1999 Electricity Consumption - public grid and private supply

GWh

PJ

kWh / person / day

MJ / person / day

kg CO2e / kWh

t CO2 e / person / year

166772

600.4

24.13

86.9

1.074

9.47

Australia public grid electricity 1999

 

GWh

population

kWh / person / day

kg CO2e / kWh

t CO2e / person / year

NSW+ACT

59544

6.724

24.2

1.012

8.96

VIC

36314

4.686

21.2

1.444

11.19

QLD

33268

3.501

26.0

1.079

10.25

SA

10456

1.498

19.1

1.186

8.28

WA

11407

1.850

16.9

1.114

6.87

TAS

9225

0.471

53.6

0.002

0.04

NT

1549

0.199

21.3

0.654

5.09

Australia

161763

18.926

23.4

1.080

9.23

Readings

World Emissions

What are the sources of greenhouse gases in the world?

Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide levels Highest on Record (DOC) , World Meteorological Organisation, 2006.11.3

The 35.4% rise in carbon dioxide since the late 1700s has largely been generated by emissions from the combustion of fossil fuels.

Around one third of N2O discharged into the air is a result of human activities such as fuel combustion, biomass burning, ferilizer use and some industrial processes.

Human activity such as fossil fuel exploitation, rice agriculture, biomass burning, landfills and runimant farm animals account for some 60% of atmospheric CH4, with natural processes including those produced by wetlands and termites responsible for the remaining 40%.

Links

Australian Greenhouse Gas Emissions - AusStats

Australian Residential Building Sector Greenhouse Gas Emissions 1990-2010

Greenhouse gas emissions in industrialised countries: Where does Australia stand? - PDF - Hal Turton, Australia Institute, June 2004 - Australians have the highest greenhouse gas emissions per person of all industrial countries.

2007.2.23